Welcome to my blog...

Prepare yourself for the roller coaster ride of emotions... Be forewarned, this site is my vent site... I cannot be held responsible for what may be said on this blog. Often it's just little tidbits of useless information, but occassionally a wobbler post slips in and all my feelings are revealed. Sometimes they are sweet, sad or cheerful.... but oh when they aren't... well just let me go ahead and apologize now. lol What did you expect?

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Advice Overload

Have you ever been encouraged so much that it becomes discouraging? I have a friend who is very burdened right now and frankly it has caused lots of people in her life to share her burden. No that is not a bad thing, in fact she needed encouragment and always got it. Well this time, she didn't ask for advice on the past situations or the big picture... but that is what everyone responded with. I think we gave her advice overload. Everyone had advice and it was all good advice, but... I think it was taken more as an attack than encouragement. So many times that is the case.

I know I am talking in circles, but I just hate that my friend has lost the only support group that I think she had... all because we gave advice that wasn't asked for. It is always better to give than to receive, but hindsight is 20/20. If she happens to read this, I am sorry that you have made the decision you have and hope that you know that noone was being intentionally offensive, even though it may have appeared that way.

My heart just aches for this family on so many levels. I don't they could ever know the measure of the love that is given in each piece of advice... it was meant to help, but not hurt. Although, I think we did more damage than we did good. Maybe it will all work out in the end.

As I close for now, at the risk of sounding like Wilson from Home Improvement, I am reminded of two quotes regarding advice:
1)In giving advice seek to help, not to please, your friend. ~Solon

2)Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.

No comments: